I wanted to update firmware of a FortiGate Firewall and was in a need to setup TFTP server in my windows PC. TFTP (Trivial File Transfer Protocol) is a very basic file transfer protocol and mainly used for transferring files. To setup a TFTP server on my windows 10 pc I used Tftpd64 (also called tftpd32)- a free, lightweight, opensource IPv6 ready application which includes DHCP, TFTP, DNS, SNTP and Syslog servers as well as a TFTP client. In this article, I will explain you how to setup a TFTP Server in windows laptop/PC using tftpd64.
How to Setup TFTP Server in Windows
1. Download and install Tfptd32/Tftpd64 in Windows PC.
Download link : http://tftpd32.jounin.net/
2. Open Tftpd64 program, click on Settings button.
3. Settings window will open as shown below. Put a check mark only to TFTP Server option. Remove check mark from all other options
4. Then next select TFTP tab. Click on Browse button to specify Base Directory. You need to specify the Base Directory of the TFTP Server. You can select any folder in your windows laptop/PC as the Base Directory. Remember that all the files transferred using TFTP Server will be placed in this folder.(IN My PC D:\TFTP is Base Directory).
5. Under TFTP Security, select the option None
6. Under Advanced TFTP Options, Select all options which are selected in below screenshot.
A very important Step, Bind TFTP to this address : To set the IP address for TFTP server, please select the option Bind TFTP to this address then select the IP address available for you. I select 192.168.1.81 here as it was the only option available to me. You may get a different IP address, please use the IP address available in the drop down window.
7. Once you have performed all the above steps, Click on OK. Now you will receive a window asking to restart Tftpd64 to apply the new settings. Click on OK.
8. Reopen Tftpd64 program. just ensure that you selected same IP address for Server Interface.
Note: Please remember that the Tftpd64 application should be running when any TFTP related job is done. If you close this application, TFTP server will be terminated.
9. Successfully completed all the above steps ? then your TFTP Server is ready to use. Now if you copy a file in D:\TFTP folder (Base Directory), it is accessible by typing the address tftp://your TFTP Server ip.