There are many reasons for a computer to start running slow. In this article we are sharing some common reasons for computers to run slow.
Tips to Speed Up a Slow Computer
1. Background Programs : One of the most common reasons for a slow computer are programs running in the background. Remove or disable any unwanted start-up programs that automatically start each time the computer starts.
To access it, go to Start > Run > type in “MSCONFIG” and click OK. Then Choose the “Startup” tab. Remove as much as you can from msconfig. You can remove everything and the computer will still boot, so don’t be afraid to remove something if you don’t know what it is. Keep the stuff you recognize like your Antivirus software.
2. Too many programs installed, all eating up resources: Uninstall programs you don’t use. Go to Add/Remove Programs, and remove anything that looks like it could be unwanted or malicious.
3. Free hard drive space : Verify your hard drive is not running on low space. Run Disk Clean-Up and clear all temporary internet files and folders to free-up some disk space. you can use a free utility CCleaner to delete temporary files. To perform disk clean-up, click “Start” then go to All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup.
4. Viruses can also slow your computer down : They can infect files or consume resources. Open your Anti-Virus program and under Scan Options, choose Scan Whole Computer. Or Use Any Top Free Online Virus Scanning tool
5. Hardware conflicts : Verify that the Device Manager has no conflicts. If any exist resolve these issues as they could be the cause of your problem.
6. CPU is too hot : Your CPU might be overheating and then throttling down to a slow speed. Check your fans, heat sinks and CPU temperature. Clean out any dust in the case. Check the fan outlets are not obstructed.
7. Update Windows : Make sure you have all the latest Windows updates installed in the computer.
8. Re install Operating System : If none of the above solutions resolve your issues, it is recommended that you either re-install windows or erase everything and then start over.