In this tutorial we will show you how to fix error “ Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer ” while installing Windows XP on your computer. This error normally appears when your hard disk is on an SATA or SCSI controller and windows setup was unable to find or does not have the suitable driver. Loading the SATA driver using a floppy disk will fix this problem. If you don’t have a floppy drive in your computer (who does anymore), to solve this problem follow one of the methods given below.
SOLUTION 1 – Set Your SATA Controller to Compatability/IDE/Standard Mode
1. Enter BIOS setup
2. Look for the Serial ATA or SATA configuration section. (Varies on different Motherboards)
3. Change the mode of the SATA controller to from AHCI to SATA/IDE or Compatibility
4. Save and Exit
5. Reboot and begin with windows setup again.
6. When windows setup is complete, set it back to AHCI.
If your problem still exists after changing this option then change it back to AHCI and proceed to Solution 2 below.
SOLUTION 2 – Load SATA Drivers On Your Windows XP Setup CD
Integrating the SATA drivers into your XP installation CD using nLite, a free utility used to create a custom bootable windows CD / ISO (integrate hotfixes, drivers and themes, tweaks, patches, remove components, etc.)
- Windows XP CD
- A working windows PC
- A blank writable CD (Or create a bootable usb drive)
- Download nLite – A Deployment Tool
- SATA Drivers – Download your SATA Drivers from manufacturer’s website
Create Custom Windows XP CD with SATA Drivers
1. Install nLite, you may be prompted to install Microsoft.NET Framework. Install it.
2. Extract your downloaded SATA drivers to a folder on Desktop.
3. Insert your Windows XP CD. Just cancel it’s autoplay.
4. Launch nLite, On Welcome to nLite! screen click Next.
5. On the Locating the windows installation screen, click Browse and select your Windows XP CD/DVD drive and click Next.
6. On the next step, select the folder where you want to save the CD installation files. Then XP install files will begin copying to the folder.
7. Click Next on the Presets screen.
8. In “Task Selection”, choose “Drivers” and “Bootable ISO” by high-lighting them.
9. Choose “Insert” -> “Single driver”
10. Browse to the SATA driver folder and select either one of the .INF file
11. You then need to select a driver from the list of text mode drivers. After you have selected, click OK and Next.
12. Choose “Yes” to start the process.
13. When the process finishes you will see a summary have the opportunity create an ISO file. Click Make ISO.
14. Then select a location to save the ISO file to and click OK.
15. Once the ISO file is saved you can use it to create a bootable CD or a bootable usb drive.
Hope this helps you to solve setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer error during windows xp install. Enjoy !