Safe mode starts windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers. It’s useful for troubleshooting problems with programs and drivers that might not start correctly or that might prevent windows from starting correctly.
Unlike earlier versions windows, starting windows 10 in Safe mode is not very straight forward. The old method of pressing the F8 key while your PC starts or restarts doesn’t work in windows 10, because the boot procedure became faster than ever before. In this post, we will show you the ways to start or boot Windows 10 in Safe mode.
Method #1 : Using System Configuration tool
Method #2 : Using Shift + Restart combination
Method 1 : Using System Configuration tool
1. Open Run window ( Press Windows + R keys on your keyboard). Then, type msconfig in the text field and press Enter or OK.
2. Now System Configuration dialogue box will appear. Here switch to the Boot tab and, in the Boot options section, select the Safe boot option.
3. Click Apply button and then click OK. Then you will get a window with Restart and Exit without restart buttons, click Restart if you want to immediately restart and boot into the Safe mode. Click Exit without restart button if you want to restart and boot into the Safe mode when you restart your PC for the next time.
Note: After you are done using the PC in Safe Mode uncheck the Safe boot option and restart your PC to start windows 10 normally.
Method 2 : Using Shift + Restart Combination
Another way of getting into Safe Mode in Windows 10 is to use the Shift + Restart combination.
1. Open the Start menu and click on the Power button.
2. Then, while hoding the Shift key pressed, click on Restart option.
Note: you can also use the Shift + Restart combination from the login or sign-in screen
3. When you restart your PC, you will see the Choose an option screen where you need to click the Troubleshoot.
4. On the Troubleshoot screen, select Advanced options.
5. Then, on the Advanced options screen, choose Startup Settings.
6. On the Startup Settings screen, click the Restart button to restart your PC.
7. After your PC restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Press 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Press 5 or F5 to start Safe Mode with Networking or Press 6 or F6to start Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
Method #3 : Using Bootable Media – When PC is Not Booting
If your PC is booting, you don’t need to use this method. But if you want boot in to Safe mode on an unbootable PC, you can use bootable windows 10 media or recovery drive.
Here is how to enter Safe Mode if you can’t boot the windows 10 system successfully?
1. Insert and boot from bootable Windows 10 USB drive or Disc.
2. A Windows setup dialogue box will appear. Click on Next and select Repair your computer option.
3. Next, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
4. After your PC restarts, you’ll see a list of options. Select Safe Mode and press enter to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10.