Safe mode is a troubleshooting option for Windows that starts your PC with basic drivers and components that necessary to run windows. If a problem doesn’t reappear when you start in safe mode, you can eliminate the default settings and basic device drivers and services as possible causes.
For windows 8.1 and windows 8, There are three ways to booting into Safe Mode. We will describe these methods below:
How to Boot in to Safe Mode on Windows 8.1 or 8
Use one of the following methods to start windows 8.1 or 8 in Safe Mode.
Method 1 : Using MSConfig ( When Windows is Running Normally )
Follow the below steps to start windows in Safe Mode using Windows System Configuration Tool
1. Press the Windows + R key to open Run dialog box
2. Type msconfig into the run box and click OK, this will open System Configuration Tool.
3. Go to the Boot tab. In the Boot tab, check the box that says Safe boot and click OK.
4. That’s it. When you reboot your PC afterwards, it will startup in Safe Mode.
Note : To start windows normally, open msconfig again and uncheck the Safe Boot option.
Method 2 : Using Shift with Restart
1. Hold down the Shift key and then click the Restart button (When you hit the power button via Charms Bar).
2. From the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.
3. Then click Advanced options.
4. Click Startup Settings. Now your PC will be rebooted to enable Startup Settings.
5. Once PC restarts, you will get a list of different startup options.
6. Choose the safe mode option you want from the list.
- Press F4 to Enable Safe Mode.
- Press F5 to Enable Safe Mode with Networking
- Press F6 to Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
7. That’s all. Windows 8.1 or 8 now boot according to the option you selected.
Method 3 : Booting windows 8.1 / 8 in Safe Mode When PC is Not Starting
When windows 8.1 or windows 8 failed to boot, it appears that the boot option will automatically show up the advanced recovery mode. If not starts automatically, you can still manually access the recovery options by holding down the Shift key and repeatedly hit the F8 key before Windows started up. If you are quick and lucky (Windows 8 PCs start up quickly), you can get into the recovery mode.
Hope this helps !